Domestic abuse is about a person wanting to control another person, or other people. Abuse is never ok. If someone is hurting your body or your mind, that is not your fault and there are people who can help. There are lots of types of abuse, including:
- When someone always tries to make you do things by saying something like "If you loved me you would" or "nobody will ever want you, you’re a waste of space".
- When someone constantly threatens to spread rumours about you or says things that hurt you.
- When someone tells you what you can or can't wear or checks up on you constantly to find out where you are, who you are with, what you are doing.
- When someone humiliates you or puts you down in front of others.
- When someone stops you from seeing your friends or family.
- When someone slaps you, hits you, kicks you, punches you or otherwise hurts you.
- When someone makes you do something of a sexual nature that you don’t want to do.
- When someone keeps money or takes money from you.
- When someone prevents you from eating and drinking, or forces you to eat.